Sunday, August 15, 2010

Paleo Shopping at it's finest!


So today I went to Winco after I received a GREAT massage! I was of course out kayaking and had done this after a few workouts. Needless to day, i am pretty wiped out and my body is feeling some of the effects of the workouts from today. I can honestly say if I wasn't on the paleo lifestyle I probably would not feel as decent as I do!
SO ONWARDS AND UPWARDS! Here is to Paleo Shopping for time. The pictures below are today's shopping trip minus some of the household items I had to buy. The deal is I shop at Winco because, well, let's face it.. it's cheaper. The whole point of today's post is to encourage those who think paleo is too expensive to take a different spin on it and while you may not be following "Grass Fed" and "organic" (While still better for you) it is OK to go out and shop at a regular "Grocery" store if you will. First, let's take a look at the lay of the land. You see, you HAVE to plan when going into a normal grocery store like Winco. It takes strategy and tactics... especially if you are going to do it for time!

So imagine for a moment, you are walking in the front entrance by the WALL OF VALUES... oh yeah baby.. the wall of values... well, the values are HUGE in processed and packed foods... so when I enter Winco... I turn to the right, and head straight to the produce section. For me in the produce section:






Veggies:

Bell Peppers, Green and Red

Lettuce (green leaf, Romaine)

Spinach (fresh AND pre-bagged baby spinach)

Brocolli Crowns

Cauliflower

Mushrooms

Carrots

Squash

Sweet Potato

Celery

Cabbage
Sprouts of all kinds

Fresh Cilantro

Fresh Basil

Tomato

Avacado
Fruit:
Berries- Raspberries, Blackberries, Blueberries and Strawberries (much cheaper here than save-mart or Vons
Peaches
Nectarines

Pears

Grapes

I really wasn't in the mood for any other fruit today!

Now as I move by the "Special Values" section and watch the groves of people loading the stuff up, i move along to the bulk section. In the bulk section, this wincow has some awesome stuff. so I purchase:

Raw slivered almonds
Raw Cashews
Dried Blueberris (for paleo energy bars)
Unsweetened Coconut
Dried Cranberries
Deluxe mixed nut mix
(and I grabbed ALOT of all of these this time through)

I then, since I was next to the coffee.. decided it was time for some caffiene, so refilled my coffee supply (while not paleo plan.. i figured once they knew about the coffee bean, they just chewed on them and got REALLY hyper.. therefore I can have coffee :) )

I then headed over to the Deli meat and had them slice up some:

Roast beef
Rotisserie Chicken
Smoked Ham
Which at the moment I am soaking in water to remove a great deal of the sodium from. I then proceeded to the meat sections and put the following in my cart:





Ground turkey

Ground Chicken

Chicken Breasts

Flank Steak

Ahi tuna Steaks (frozen)

At this point it was time for me to add the eggs, the olive oil, coconut milk, chinese mustard, and bamboo shoots.

I never hit the dairy (except for the Almond Mil... whcih if they have unsweetened is the best way to go ) or the bread section.. and as tempting as it was to go get ice cream today... I did NOT pick up my favorite Breyers ice cream! It was truly a challenge.

The cost of all of the above Groceries for approximately two weeks worth of food (and my personal affects) was $167. This Included all of the houselhold items I bought as well!

I would highly recommend NOT going shopping when you are hungry. more stuff than necessary ends up in your cart then! :)


Do any of you have shopping tips?

5 comments:

  1. Great post.
    Shopping is what turns a lot of people off about the whole Paleo thing, but once they learn that it's basically what you buy normally minus the "shit" like cereals and grains... voila, don't need anything fancy. And almond milk and coconut milk is ALWAYS on sale around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an fyi for those of you in fresno. if you've heard of groupon they are doing a $15 for $30 worth of product at kristina's natural ranch and market. i'm sure if you go to groupon.com you can sign up and take advantage of this deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Groupon's sound cool. I've never heard of that here in GA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin, ICE CREAM! Have you tried SO Delicious Coconut milk ice cream? It's pretty expensive, but very tasty. All kinds of flavors too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite the paleo haul! Hope the diet's working out for you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete