Thursday, August 12, 2010

Additional information on Fats and Paleo energy bar recipe (Thanks Wade)

Wade Trammel and Kevin Hughes at the Firefighter Olympics doing a 225 lb Partner Carry. Here's to you Wade for today's recipe!

How is everyone doing today?

I had a new recipe from Wade Trammel of Mountain View Fire ( I met him at the firefighter olympics) and I wanted to share it with you. These are some of the best Paleo bars I have had and easy to make.

Wade- Thank you so much for this awesome recipe. I changed out and added no oil this time through because we didn't have any at the station, but they still turned out amazing!!! I also added almond meal to hold it together for this bunch. The whole clan at the station really enjoyed the recipe.

This is for a double batch, but the measurements aren’t critical. It’s basically a bunch of yummy nuts held together by almond butter and eggs!
1 Cup slivered almonds or roasted whole almonds that are pulsed into almond bits.
1 Cup toasted pecans chopped up.
1/2 Cup of shredded coconut (I use more, yum!)
1/2 Cup almond butter
1/2 Cup of coconut oil
2 tsp Vanilla (I also add a tsp of almond extract if you have it)
1 Tsp Honey
1/2 Tsp salt
1 Cup of dried blueberries or cranberries (watch out for lots of added sugar here, read the label)
2 eggs
I toast my nuts in the broiler or pan first, then chop or use the food processor to chunk them up.
Mix the whole mess well and spread it all flat on a cookie sheet sprayed with PAM or coconut oil. Bake at 350 for 15 or 20 minutes.
Let is cool in the fridge and cut them into bars.
I also throw in pine nuts if I have them.
I’ve modified this in several ways and it’s hard to make a bad energy bar. Use ingredients you like and you can’t go wrong!

I have been a little sluggish this week. I started out with very little motivation to work out today and finished a few workouts. I have noticed more and more items I am eating are affecting me either positive or negative. I can tell much more rapidly when my blood sugar is changing. How about all of you?

Also, I wanted to add an additional resource for you- Check out:

Diane is an AWESOME nutritionist in San Francisco and has an amazing blog!! There is a TON of information on her website about paleo style of eating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment